Wednesday, February 2, 2011

So much to be thankful for...

Well, I haven't felt obligated to do this (blog) every day, but I have thought about it...does that count?!
Tractor Boy had his 6th set of ear tubes placed earlier in January. That was wonderful. He can hear everything now and he lets us know about it all the time. I am so thankful for modern medicine and that he did not experience a hearing loss this time. His ears were full of fluid but he was not deaf from it.
I am thankful for my family and friends. Danger Man flushed a cloth bib down the toilet some time on his birthday and it got hung up under the house and caused our downstairs toilet to GUSH poo water when the clothes washer upstairs was dumping water. This resulted in our entryway becoming a tiny retention pond. It was 10pm on Danger's 2nd birthday and Dear Hubby was offshore on a boat. Angel Girl was my calming angel telling me, "Don't panic Mom, nothing good can happen when we panic. Just be calm." Then I heard, "Better than a Hallelujah" on the radio and finally understood the true meaning of that song even though its not my favorite song. I got our wet-dry vac out of the garage and started sucking up the poo water. Angel and Danger both fell in the poo water and Angel took care of it both times and hopped back downstairs with her pink cowgirl boots on "ready to help" ! The plumber came was here in 10 minutes and a very dear and now close friend and my amazing Mom came to help mop and sanitize. It might've taken me all night to clean it up if I hadn't had such angelic help. It was a birthday evening that I will never forget!!

Our family has been going non-stop since Halloween. Every weekend since Halloween we have had one weekend after another filled with activities. Most recently it has been birthdays and parties and showers and baptisms. Oh, and we are now GODparents!!! again! It is very exciting and a great honor and blessing to be Godparents of our new neice. We love her so much!!

This weekend we are hosting a sleepover of epic proportions. Most epic in attendance but I'm not afraid. It will be fun, loud, hilarious, but mostly fun. Angel Girl turns NINE and she totally deserves a huge bash with all of her girlfriends. It should be a memorable evening.

Since I posted last, so much has happened. At each happening I think to myself, "I should post this to the blog..." and then something else happens and I forget to post it. But I know that if you're following this, you probably understand where I'm coming from. So I'm not going to make any apologies, I just like to explain why I do things so that I'm not perceived as a flake. But, I cannot control how you perceive me...I can only make vain attempts at it! ;-)

Currently we are in the midst of a "Blue Norther" that has brought with it grisly temperatures in the teens with wind chills in the single digits. Can't remember when it's been this cold in Houston before. People are acting like idiots and it is just not acceptable. This is weather. Deal with it or stay home. But please don't get out on the roads and flip out when the wind blows. That is NOT okay.

I typically enjoy cold weather. But at times like this I am actually thankful for the brutal summers that we endure here, with blistering heat and wicked barely-sufferable humidity so that we do not have to shovel snow in the winters. I want to like snow. I like feeling like a kid on Christmas morning when I see snow. I wouldn't want to hate it or to live in a place where it was an inconvenience or a hassle. The rarity of a Houston snow is what makes snow special. So this makes me thankful for the yucky summers because they are what make the winters here so sweet.

I'm also thankful for electricity and that I'm not a pioneer woman or Amish. Not anything against the Amish, I actually think they have a really great thing going. I'm spoiled. I like warm toasty things when it is cold out and I like cool crisp air blowing in my face when it is 110 degrees out. I like those things. I'm very very thankful for those things.

I am thankful for the bad things that happened in my life because they shaped me into the person I have become today. I am who I am now because of people being horrible to me and me being horrible to others. I am the person I am now because I was broken and had a terrible attitude and hated myself and others and I changed.
People CAN change. I did. I even had friends when I was in that dark place. Most of them probably wouldn't believe who I've become. That's okay. If you're in my life now and you have been for over 15 years, I want to thank you for still being in my life. You have been with me through the dark and yucky me time and you have helped me be who I am today. God never left my side even though I turned my back on Him. I can do all things through Christ Who strenghtens me. His Grace is sufficient for me.

Until next time, peace be with you!

2 comments:

  1. I think you have turned out quite amazing Claire.
    I am in awe of your strength and convictions, you still make me say WOW!

    ReplyDelete